Cinderford vs. Basingstoke

Cinderford 2 - 3 Basingstoke
27 Aug 2016 - 15:00Causeway Ground

Match report by Nick Wilson.

Basingstoke produced a battling performance to claim their second victory in a row, despite twice falling behind. Cinderford came into the game on the back of a 5-0 defeat and set out early to defend deep, restricting space for Basingstoke to play.

Basingstoke dominated the early possession but struggled to break the hosts down. A Basingstoke goal looked most likely to come from a set piece as they repeatedly caused problems from corners. Robert Atkinson headed over the bar and Cinderford somehow survived a scramble that saw three separate shots blocked on the line. On 30 minutes though the opening goal did come and it was Cinderford that scored it, against the run of play. A long ball out of defence was held up by Gethwyn Hill who then provided a lay off for Lewis Feeley to strike through the ball with the outside of his foot away from Alex Tokarczyk.

Basingstoke were shocked into action and pressed harder to find the equaliser. Sam Deadfield had a shot deflected wide and the equaliser came soon after. Another corner was whipped by George Hallahan and Robert Atkinson met it again, this time guiding the ball into the far corner.

Half Time: 1-1

Cinderford came out in the second half a little more adventurous, attacking Basingstoke and retook the lead quickly after the break. A free kick was given right on the edge of the box and after the first shot was blocked by the wall, the ball squirmed through to Jacob Morgan in space who finished coolly from close range.

Once again though it didn’t take long for Basingstoke to equalise. Aaron Redford combined with Michael Atkinson on the left hand side and Atkinson’s deep cross was met by a sliding Dan Collier, who somehow managed to lift the ball over home keeper Ben Fletcher and into the net.

From then on Basingstoke carried the most threat. Aaron Redford glanced a header wide and substitute Romone Rose was unfortunate to see a shot cannon back off the post before Sam Deadfield won it with 10 minutes left. The ball was played in from the left hand side and Deadfield controlled the ball, turned neatly and finished on his right foot, high inside the near post. Cinderford pushed forward to try to find a late equaliser but it wasn’t to be as Basingstoke dealt with the threat fairly comfortably to see out the win.

Full Time: 2-3
Next up it’s a home tie against Frome Town on Bank Holiday Monday 29th August.