Weymouth vs. Basingstoke

Weymouth 3 - 0 Basingstoke
11 Oct 2016 - 19:45Bob Lucas Stadium, DT4 9XJ

By Nick Wilson

Basingstoke suffered a heavy defeat in Weymouth, going down 3-0 on a hard night for Terry Brown’s team.

After back to back league wins, confidence was high but that was dented early on as Ben Thomson turned and fired a low shot past Alex Tokarczyk to give Weymouth the lead after just seven minutes. It was a frenetic opening to the game and Romone Rose was unfortunate to see his goal bound effort cleared off the line by Stephane Zubar after beating goalkeeper Dan Thomas.

Weymouth carried a threat too in a high tempo match and after a dangerous cross from Mark Cooper went begging they doubled their lead. Captain Stewart Yetton was the man on hand, sneaking behind the Basingstoke backline to divert a scuffed shot from range past a wrong-footed Tokarczyk.

Both sides created chances in an end to end first half. Rose went close from range and George Hallahan forced Thomas into a good save low to his right while Joe Gater had a header deflected wide of the mark.

Half Time: 2-0

The second half started in the worst possible way for Basingstoke. A cross from the left hand side was deflected out by Gater to Billy Lowes inside the area and he drilled the ball into the bottom corner to extend Weymouth’s lead just two minutes after the restart.

Weymouth started looking to rest players with a big FA Cup tie on the horizon and as they did Basingstoke started to dominate possession more. Rose had a couple more long range strikes just off target and Nana Owusu also tried his luck but to no avail, while Thomas was called upon to race off his line to deny Marcus Johnson-Schuster a shot on goal.

At the other end though it was very nearly four for Weymouth as, after Thomson had been denied by Tokarczyk, substitute Sam Jordan slid in at the far post to meet a cross but saw his shot crash off the Basingstoke crossbar. The visitors continued to work hard and look for an opening but were unable to test Thomas much further and were left to reflect on a tough game.

Full Time: 3-0

Next Up: It’s another away league trip, this time against Biggleswade on Saturday 15th October – KO 3pm.