Basingstoke vs. Kings Lynn

Basingstoke 1 - 2 Kings Lynn
13 Dec 2016 - 19:45The Ark Cancer Charity Stadium


Basingstoke offered a spirited performance but in the end were unfortunate to narrowly fall to a third consecutive league defeat, 2-1 at home to Norfolk side Kings Lynn. 

Basingstoke struggled for periods of the first half and the early chances feel to the visitors, first a near post header was glanced off the crossbar before Alex Tokarczyk had to be alert to make a save as Toby Hilliard got free. Just a couple of minutes later the post denied Kings Lynn as a corner was sent to the far post, the header rebounding off the woodwork and Tokarczyk again reacted quickly to keep the ball out. 

Basingstoke created their best chance until that point as Romone Rose was found on the right side of the area but he seemed to be caught in two minds as he slid a cross-cum-shot through the six yard box and wide of the far post. 

He was made to regret it just a minute later as a deep free kick from the right was met in the six yard area by Dan Quigley who placed the ball into the bottom corner on 22 minutes to give his team a deserved lead. 

The goal woke the home side up and they started to take hold of the game. Nana Owusu and Sam Deadfield combined to work space in the area and the winger was unfortunate to see his shot rebound off the post. Charlie Kennedy also went close, inches away from connecting with a cross from Rose before Deadfield turned another Rose cross goalwards but was denied by visiting keeper Alex Street while David Ray fired wide from the resulting corner. 

Once again Basingstoke were made to pay for a missed chance as Kings Lynn midfielder Lee Stevenson wriggled free in the area before blasting a shot past Tokarczyk to double the lead before the break. 


Basingstoke came out in the second half and were much improved as Kings Lynn were kept pinned back for large parts of the second period. 

Terry Brown made changes to his side in an attempt to add more attacking impetus and one of those substitutes, Michael Atkinson, had an immediate impact as he curled a dangerous ball in from the left that was hacked away. 

Nana Owusu came more into the game too and had a couple of attempts on goal, both saved by Street before forcing another corner with a cross from the left as Basingstoke built up the pressure on the away goal. 

The pressure told as Basingstoke got back into the game halfway through the second half through Aaron Jarvis following a mix up in the Kings Lynn defence. Jarvis capitalised reaching a loose ball in the area first and slotting home, giving Basingstoke just over 20 minutes to find an equaliser with the momentum on their side. 

Owusu continued to threaten, crossing for Jarvis who was just off target before Rose had two fierce efforts beaten out for corners in the last few minutes. The final chance came to Jarvis again from another left wing cross by Owusu. Jarvis turned the ball goalwards with his left foot but saw the ball deflect out of the post and it was to be the last chance as time ran out on Basingstoke.