Basingstoke vs. Cambridge City

Basingstoke 2 - 1 Cambridge
24 Sep 2016 - 15:00The Ark Cancer Charity Stadium

By Nick Wilson.

Basingstoke got back to winning ways in the league with a 2-1 victory over Cambridge City that was much more comfortable than the score line suggested.
The opening exchanges were tight, with few chances. Marcus Johnson-Schuster went closest for Basingstoke, shooting straight at visiting keeper Enol Ordonez. At the other end Cambridge midfielder Dean Mason tested Alex Tokarczyk. The game opened up as the half wore on, Basingstoke started to control possession and moved Cambridge around the pitch as they looked for an opening.
Ordonez was called on to cut out a couple of dangerous crosses and both Richie Whittingham and Romone Rose were denied. Half time came at a bad time for Basingstoke as they were beginning to turn the screw but the teams headed in goalless at the break.
Half Time: 0-0
Basingstoke started quickly in the second half and took just two minutes to break through. A long pass from left to right was headed down by substitute Michael Atkinson to Rose on the corner of the box. He cut inside and poked the ball inside the near post with his right foot for his third goal of the week.
From then on Basingstoke were dominant. Ashleigh Artwell was a constant threat out wide and Richie Whittingham was pulling the strings. Aaron Jarvis came on and caused problems for the Cambridge backline and it seemed a second goal was on the way. Robert Atkinson could have provided it on 63 minutes but blazed the rebound of a Jarvis shot over the bar from inside the six yard box.
Basingstoke did double their lead just a couple of minutes later and it came from an unlikely source. Johnson-Schuster latched on to a deft ball in behind from Whittingham and thumped the ball past Ordonez for his first goal of the season.
Within five minutes though, Cambridge were back in the game. The ball was laid off to Serrano on the edge of the area and he tucked a shot just inside the post to make it 2-1. Cambridge couldn’t muster enough for a second goal and were almost killed off by a third Basingstoke goal when George Hallahan tried to beat a retreating Ordonez from distance but the ball bounced just wide of the post. The game came to an end soon after with Basingstoke claiming their third league victory of the season.
Full Time: 2-1


Next Up: It’s another home league match against Cirencester, on Tuesday 27th September – KO 7:45pm.