Basingstoke vs. Frome

Basingstoke 1 - 3 Frome Town
29 Aug 2016 - 15:00The Ark Cancer Charity Stadium

Match report by Nick Wilson.

Basingstoke fell to their third defeat of the season at home to Frome, as mistakes at the back cost the home team dearly.

It was the worst possible start for Basingstoke when Frome’s George Miller drilled a low shot towards goal that slipped under the body of Alex Tokarczyk to make it 1-0 just four minutes in. The goal seemed to shock Basingstoke and Frome made efforts to press home their advantage. They kept Basingstoke pinned back for large parts of the first 30 minutes, playing neat possession football and pressing high up the field when without the ball.

Basingstoke adapted and grew into the game in the latter stages of the first half though. Sam Deadfield tested Frome goalkeeper Darren Chitty from long range before Michael Atkinson shot into the side netting and Aaron Redford was denied by two dubious offside flags.

Frome had the best chance to add to the score though right on the stroke of half time when Darren Jeffries weaved his way through the penalty box, only to be denied by a well placed Matt Partridge who cleared off the line. The whistle went soon after and there was a feeling that although Basingstoke were down they certainly weren’t out.

Hal Time: 0-1

Basingstoke came out after half time looking to impose themselves on the game but were dealt a hammer blow early on. A long, bouncing ball was headed back towards Tokarczyk by Joe Gater but the defender left it a bit too short, allowing Aiden Kirby to nip in and make it 2-0 to the away side five minutes into the second half.

From then on it was a tough task for Basingstoke as Frome kept the ball well. Terry Brown threw on all three of his substitutes but it was Frome that extended their lead, as captain Sam Teale rose highest at the far post to plant a firm header past Tokarczyk for 3-0.

To the home side’s credit they didn’t give up and managed to pull one goal back through Sam Deadfield, his third goal in three games. Substitute George Hallahan found some space in the left hand channel and tried to bend the ball into the far corner. Chitty parried but Deadfield was first to the loose ball to tap it in and score for the third game in a row. This gave the hosts added impetus and they pressed on, keeping the pressure up visitors but were unable to find another goal as Frome saw out the win.

Full Time: 1-3

Next Up: It’s a home FA Cup tie against Bemerton Heath Harlequins on Saturday 3rd September, KO 3pm.