Basingstoke vs. Weymouth

Basingstoke 1 - 6 Weymouth
04 Feb 2017 - 15:00The Ark Cancer Charity Stadium


Weymouth swept Basingstoke aside with a clinical performance to hand the hosts their heaviest defeat of the season thanks to goals from Dean Evans, Charlie Davis and hat trick hero Stuart Fleetwood.

The game was largely even early on with Basingstoke perhaps shading possession and carrying a threat down the left hand side thanks to the pace of Nana Owusu and Aaron Redford who had a couple of early attempts at goal but failed to test visiting keeper Tom McHale with his left footed shots. 

Neither side managed to create any clear cut chances early on but the Terras took the lead after 26 minutes with Fleetwood’s first when he worked a yard of space and saw his shot creep inside the near post  and just three minutes later the lead was doubled. Charlie Kennedy was penalised for a rash challenge of the edge of the box and Davis stepped up to curl the free kick into the top corner, despite a hand on the ball from Alex Tokarczyk.

Basingstoke’s misery was compounded five minutes before the break. Tokarczyk rushed out and brought down substitute Mark Molesley and Davis powerfully placed the penalty to the goalkeepers left for a 3-0 half time scoreline.


Basingstoke found a response early in the second half. Inside the first thirty seconds, Aaron Jarvis found himself clean through after the ball bounced between Toby Down and Stephane Zubar but he was denied by an excellent save from McHale. Just two minutes later though, Aaron Redford got one goal back for the home side, converting Marcus Johnson-Schuster’s cross from close range to give his team a glimmer of hope. 

Weymouth weren’t done though. Midfielder Dean Evans rose highest at the far post and his header was ruled to have crossed the line for a killer fourth goal, despite Sam Deadfield’s clearance as the assistant flagged for the goal to restore Weymouth’s three goal cushion. Once again Basingstoke fell victim to two goals in three minutes as Fleetwood grabbed his second of the day and Weymouth’s fifth. A long kick was flicked on and Fleetwood raced on to the bouncing ball. With Tokarczyk a few yards off his line, the striker lifted the ball over the Basingstoke goalkeeper from 20 yards.

There was still time for a sixth and with just under ten minutes left, Fleetwood completed his hat trick. Calvin Brooks did well to find space to send a ball inside to Copp who showed quick feet to evade a challenge and find Fleetwood who slotted the ball into the bottom corner to round the afternoon off.